Sunday, July 27, 2008

Conduit July 28- How To Read The Bible

I don’t know exactly how it is when the women get together but when the fellas get around each other away from it all the stories start flowing. Anytime spent on a tour bus with a rock band will verify this. It’s sort of like a locker room on wheels. Complete with the locker room smells.

This makes me wonder if that ever happened with Jesus and the disciples when they were having some downtime or traveling by boat. When you factor in the percentage of the 12 that were fishermen, you know the stories would be great.
Forget about the Disciples though, can you imagine the stories Jesus could tell? Being God and all he wouldn’t be exaggerating or lying and the great news is that He wouldn’t need to. We know from the parables that He was a great storyteller. I would have LOVED to have been there.

“Jesus, tell us about that time you scared the life out of Balam. Do his face right when the donkey started talking.” It should be assumed that since Jesus is God He would be really good at doing impressions. Putting myself in that place, it would have been kind of frustrating to not be able to bring in the whole talking Donkey in Shrek to make it even more funny. But being supernatural and all, it would also be supposed that He was supernaturally funny.

“And that time when you wrestled Jacob. C’mon you had to let him win for a while. Show us the move you did that got the hip injury.” The Disciples couldn’t have known about pro wrestling, but we can rest assured that being omnipotent and all, Jesus would have. Which leads me to believe that it was the figure four that Jesus did on Jacob. (Did you think Hulk Hogan really invented that move?)

And knowing guys, especially a group that includes brothers, you can certainly see how this would have given way to their own wrestling matches. Of course there would be the “oh I could so take you” between the guys, but one would think that nobody ever said that to Jesus. (Even if they thought it, which would have been the same thing since Jesus seemed to know what they were thinking)

Of course, there would be some serious guy questions. “So Jesus, tell me a little about Gomer. I’m still fuzzy on the reasons behind the whole Hosea thing, but after all you put him through, please tell me that at least she was hot. “

“And what up with Elijah and the chariot of fire thing? Wouldn’t that require some sort of cooling system to keep from scorching his tush? Did you push the walls of Jericho down or did you blow them down” (kind of like in Goldilocks)

I mean seriously if I've got the God of the universe in His earth suit at a party, plant yourself right next to Him. You're bound to have the time of your life.

SIDEBAR: If you’re sitting beside Jesus and he was reading the Word; technically he is quoting himself. Which is to say He wrote it. So whether he was reading it or telling it, in essence both would be The Word.

I like thinking about this stuff because it reminds me that Jesus , the God Man, who is called “The Word” by John was there through it all. I don’t think I ever articulated it but I think I used to believe that when the New Testament happened, it did away with the Old Testament completely. Almost like I thought that when Jesus came, that he was sort of tagged in and replaced the other God. (what’s up with the wrestling references. I swear I don’t watch it)

Jesus Himself said He didn’t come to do away with the law but rather to fulfill it. He came to be the reality of the shadows that were the law, to be the real thing instead of the pictures that the law painted.

There is a movement afoot that we should only pay attention to the Words in red in the Bible. The point being that we should focus only on the words that Jesus specifically said from His human mouth while walking the earth. I personally find this approach a bit scary in that I believe all scripture is God breathed. That He wrote it. And so even the black letters are in fact the words of Jesus and thus the Word of God.

I believe this is why it’s so important to rightly divide the Word as Paul said to Timothy. Not just the epistles, not just the gospels, not just the new or old testament, but the whole counsel of Gods Word. It’s why this series is so very important.

We talked about the dispensations last week. About how to rightly divide the Word. This week we’re going to look at the whole counsel of the Word. I don’t have to make something up, the Bible itself tells us how to approach the Bible.
We’re going to take some specific examples, and ultimately I’m going to give you some ideas on how to read the Bible based on my personal experiences, and on how the Bible itself says to approach it.

We’ll do this at 7:30 at Journey Ecclesia in Building 8 at the Factory.

Darren

PS- THE RECORDING PROBLEM FROM THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS HAS BEEN FIGURED OUT. SO THIS WEEK WE’LL BEGIN RECORDING AGAIN. HOWEVER IF YOU MISSED LAST WEEK, I WROTE OUT THE TEACHING IN TEXT FORM AND IT IS LOCATED AT: I COVERED THE DISPENSATIONS AND WHY IT MATTERS. WE COVERED A LOT OF GROUND. I THINK I’VE GOT IT SUMMED UP FAIRLY WELL HERE. www.darrentyler.blogspot.com

www.darrentyler.podomatic.com

No comments: